The establishment of the Faculty of Medicine UGM is inseparable from the history of the struggle of the Indonesian citizen in achieving independence day. As the oldest faculty in Indonesia, the milestone of building the Faculty of Medicine UGM went through a long process. During the Dutch colonial era, there was a medical school named the School tot Opleiding van Indische Artsen, or also known as STOVIA. STOVIA later changed to Geneeskundige Hoge School (GHS) in Jakarta. In 1943-1945, during the Japanese era, there were many changes, GHS was officially closed by Japan. Instead, Japan established a new university named Djakarta Ika Daigaku, but most of the facilities and teachers came from GHS.
Shortly, after the Proclamation of Indonesian, Djakarta Ika Daigaku was taken over by the government of the Republic of Indonesia and changed its name to Medical College (PTK) in Jakarta under the Ministry of Health. However, the situation in Jakarta was precarious because there was resistance everywhere, so the Ministry decided to move PTK Jakarta to the interior of Central Java, namely Yogyakarta, which at that time was an important city of the Republic of Indonesia. Unfortunately, at that time Yogyakarta did not have sufficient facilities for the establishment of a Medical College, so the establishment was moved to Klaten, a small town between Yogyakarta and Surakarta. The clinical PTK section was officially opened in Surakarta on March 4, 1946. Meanwhile, the pre-clinical PTK section was opened in Klaten on March 5, 1946, as well as a milestone in the history of the development of the Faculty of Medicine UGM. Lectures and laboratory activities are carried out at the Tegalyoso Hospital, Klaten, currently with dr. Soeradji Tirtonegoro.
PTK together with the College of Dentistry (PTKG) and the College of Medicine Experts (PTAO) moved from Klaten to Yogyakarta according to the Decree of the Minister of Health ad interin Dr. Soerono on 22-10-49. In Yogyakarta, the three universities are hereinafter referred to as Medical Colleges. Prof. Dr. M. Sardjito was appointed as the Head of the Medical College. As the leader of PTK, Prof. Dr. M. Sardjito assisted by dr. Soetarman, Drs. Radiopoetro and dr. Soemoesmo. Some of the lecturers include Drs. Sardjono, Prof. Ir. H. Johanes, Prof. Abdulrahman Saleh and dr. Moh. Sale. Meanwhile, the students who were registered as first-year students were Soeprono, Soewasono, Parmono Ahmad, Nasir Alwi (formerly Chancellor of the Gadjah Mada University), Soedibjo Prodjopoerwoko, Roekmini, Ismangoen, Soepardjo, and Poestika.
Thanks to the help of the vice president of the Republic of Indonesia. Drs. Moh. Hatta, Minister of Teaching and Culture, Ki Mangoen Sarkoro; Minister of Health Dr. Soerono and Prof. Soetopo; Minister of Finance Lukman Hakim; Minister of Transportation and Public Works Ir. Laoh and Ir. Sitompul and Minister of Prosperity and Agriculture I.J. Kasimo and Sadjarwo, SH and general secretary Mr. Hadi, Ir. Putuhena and Ir. Goenoeng, PTK Yogyakarta was finally inaugurated on November 1, 1949, as the first complete Indonesian PTK. The opening ceremony was attended by the President of the Republic of Indonesia, Ir. Sukarno.
In addition to universities in the field of health, in Klaten there is also a College of Veterinary Medicine (transferred from Bogor). The university also moved to Yogyakarta, occupying the same location as PTK, namely in Mangkubumen. The existing university in Yogyakarta before PTK moved was the Gadjah Mada College Hall (BPTGM) which was established on February 28, 1946, managed by the Gadjah Mada Higher Education Foundation, consisting of the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Literature.
In the end, an idea emerged among the ministries to combine higher education institutions and high schools into one university under the Ministry of Education, Teaching, and Culture. This idea was implemented with the establishment of the State University of Gadjah Mada (UNGM) based on Government Regulation No.23 dated December 16, 1949. UNGM began to organize higher education activities on December 19, 1949, one of which was the establishment of the Senate of Universiteit Negeri Gadjah Mada, which is currently designated as the National University of Gadjah Mada. Meanwhile, PTK and several other government-owned universities merged with BPTGM to become UNGM. PTK became the Faculty of Medicine, which includes the Pharmacie Division, the Dentistry Division, and the Chemistry and Human Life Sciences Teacher Education Academy (PP 23/1949 section 2 number(1)).
Finally, in 1982, the Faculty of Medicine buildings scattered throughout the city of Yogyakarta was successfully moved to the UGM campus in Sekip. To support the smooth running of Medical Education, the Indonesian Ministry of Health built a hospital as an educational facility on the UGM campus, namely RSUP. Dr. Sardjito.
Along with the times, the progress of scientific development is a necessity. To accommodate the diversity of educational, research, and community service activities with multidisciplinary disciplines, the Faculty of Medicine UGM officially changed its name to the Faculty of Medicine, Public Health and Nursing (FK-KMK) UGM in November 2017. The name change was the result of a joint decision by the plenary session of the Faculty UGM in October 2017. This was strengthened by the legal approval of the UGM Board of Trustees Regulation (MWA) No. 3 of 2017 concerning the Third Amendment to MWA Regulation No. 4/SK/MWA/2014 concerning Organization and Governance of UGM in November 2017. Until 2021, FK-KMK UGM has 32 departments and had graduated thousands of alumni spread across various regions of the archipelago and around the world.